Tuesday 23 July 2013

Design Crowd: Lend Your Logo Brief

To keep myself going with design and to possibly make some money I looked for small briefs to expand my topics and skills in. This brief mentioned airbnb which is a website i've been on frequently in recent months and enjoyed using. This sparked a personal interest in this topic which led me to try create a logo.

The Brief


Brainstorming Lend Your brief:

tourism industry
boat/motarhomes
agnostic
recognisable feature
thumbnail - digital
capitalising L & Y / without / combos?
uncomplicated/classy
20s couples / 40s family / sophisticated 50-70
Bold / Playful / Modern / Personable / Upmarket

Imagery -
anchor
handshakes
sails
rudder (steer)
life rings
keys
open road
map
rope
compass

Visual Research:

I did some visual research in to the idea of lending but it was very limited in icons or symbols.

 I looked in to vintage map typography which I loved the style of. This created some ideas for how I could approach this logo. I didn't want it to be to really traditional as it had to be modern and work as a current logo which could be turned into an icon for apps but I did want to use elements of the eccentric typefaces such as the shadowing.


I looked at modern approaches to travelling and maps. A lot of sans serif typefaces using two different kinds of weight and also italic.





As they mentioned airbnb and its website I decided to look at there logo and how it's used on the site. The idea for this business came about as a design conference was coming to there town, the two guys opened there home up for strangers to stay in as hotels had been fully booked. 
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/story (if your interested)

- blue and white - sky and clouds
- name - global bed and breakfast
- dreamy
- flow in text

Modern, photography based, easy to navigate

They also mentioned an iconic part of the logo like the flick of bnz
This image was most important to me when it came to discovering how I wanted to approach this brief. The typography for the title of Great Britain and the sea made me make a connection. I could use the different typefaces and weights to separate the words lend your as well as getting the idea of travel and global adventure.



Finding typefaces:

I experimented with lots of different typefaces I had to find ones that would fit like a map.
 I then experimented with leading, weights and pt size combinations. I tried a dark blue and a deep purple. Blue because of its traits of trust, stability, maturity: 'the color of the sky, ocean, sleep, twilight. The ancient Egyptians used lapis lazuli to represent heaven.' & ' Dark blue is the color of truth and moderation'. Purple because of its traits of luxury, loyal, imagination and spirituality: 'It is the daydreamer escaping from reality' & ' The color purple is specifically associated with royalty and the nobility, creating an impression of luxury, wealth and extravagance.'
I raised the 'o' during inspiration from other typefaces I found and made it look like a person. This create a recognisable part of the logo which they requested and also suggests the community aspect of the marketplace and the potential to meet people in tourism.

 In there comments they mentioned a lot of people chose blue but wanted variations in green therefore I did one in green to link.
 Submission:



I noticed this update the day after so decided to comment on the brief to make a more personal form of contact with them in addition to my submission.


1 comment:

  1. DesignCrowd Coupon
    It is possible to employ an internet designer to make your site, or do it yourself. Even when you aren’t a web designer, you can readily add new pages to your site effortlessly. Brand design is the second thing that we’d love to talk about within this report. Developing an internet design is a task that would demand a rather large amount of creativity and energy. Your internet design ought to be focused around the most frequent design principles. Designing your internet store should enable your creative desires to be fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete