Monday 28 May 2012

PPP - Evaluation



What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
Through this module i feel i have generated a skill in time managing. I have been able to effectively assess my workload along with domestic and social duties and create a better balance between the three. I feel that before the workshops i hadn't been giving equal energy to aspects of my life and concentrated a lot on work but now with more things to plan around and with the studio being more flexible with less workshops, i can plan and arrange when and what work needs doing before a certain time in order to focus my engery on different parts of my life. I feel this have benefitted me greatly because i have been able to get what i've need to do done and time to myself to do social things which over all has made me a lot happier and a lot more motivated to work. Another skill i feel i have developed is recognising the design that i like and that i don't like. I found out a lot of what type of design i want to focus on or try more of and realised a lot about the balance of professional and personal aspects of design. I feel i  have effectively applied this by choosing ideas that go into the areas of graphics that i favour and designing in ways that i have seen in work i like.


What approaches to methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have developed my methods of design production by working in Indesign which i had never previously done before the course. For the double page spread for my partner i learnt a lot about using indesign and by playing around with different things discovered a lot more than what we were told in our workshop. This informed my design development because i realised that there were different problems with using images from the internet and the amount of text would effect the layout. When developing my design i had to consider this aspects and design around these factors in order to get the look i was going for for my partner.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

A strength i have identified in my work in this module is to create a range which i think is best shown in the speaking from experience brief. When briefed on this module i feel i had a clear development process from channeling down ideas to research to then developing different aspects of the design and bringing it all together to create an effective solution. The designed flowed throughout even though there were different packaging nets, shapes and sizes. This strength i will choose to capitalise on in the future in order to create a strong design which can be applied across to a range of formats and media. Another strength i have identified is organisation. I felt that i was well prepared for both crits on speaking from experience and had developed my work throughly enough to give a clear understanding for the group. This benefited me because i got clear, concise feedback were people understood and could comment effectively on aspects i hadn't considered or ideas they did like rather than no research because i hadn't prepared it in time. In the future i will hopefully maintain this and come heavily prepared for crits to get the crit feedback that i can develop further on.

What weaknesses can you identify in your and work and how will you address these in the future?

A weakness i can identify in my work is consistency in quality. I have struggled to maintain a consistency throughout the whole course in quality of final prints. I feel that this can be improved on greatly in the future as when printed, cut/made accurately it benefits the design greatly and gives it better credit in its content/context as the media you choose can change the communication.  I hope to have pre booked print slots and a budget set aside in the future in order to print my designs to there best ability. Another weakness in my work is the inability to complete my idea to a level of completeness. I never feel entirely happy with my work as i feel like its not as i envisioned in my head. With the speaking from experience task how i envisioned my idea of the freshers flu kit is not shown through the final product. I proposed the idea of it being a plastic box with a fixed mould inside and the graphics braille on each item, however this obviously is not how it is finished. In the future i could maybe look at actually trying to do these ideas or at least attempt it with other departments of the college in order to try new medias.

Identify 5 things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from these?
1.  Use different parts of the college more to my advantage and try different types of design than vectors so i develop a range of skills.
2. Attempt to complete my designs in the best quality available and maintain a consistency in order to make my designs communicate better.
3. Research different areas of graphics such as retail and promotion to generate different ideas to briefs.
4. Work more on Indesign, using grids in order to learn more about the software.
5. Focus on finding out more about my opinions on design and what morals i will have in my future work.


Attendance - 4
Punctuality - 4
Motivation - 4
Commitment - 3
Quantity or work produced - 4
Quality of work produced - 3
Contribution to the group - 4

No comments:

Post a Comment