Wednesday 29 January 2014

Leeds Print Festival

I wanted to create some prints which would be functional and beautiful so I created different geometric patterns for postcards. I wanted them to be simple but striking.

I then applied colour to see how the pattern would look if I screen printed them in bright colours.
I also tried overlaying the two colours so I could create one colour prints and two colour prints which overlay the patterns to create new ones.
Another idea I had was to create a gradient with two colours so I also mock up how this could look.

Another functional piece I wanted to print for the festival was these envelopes where you can write on one side and fold it up, lick and stick it together and post it.


I tried out similar colour schemes and ideas as the postcards as it would make the process cheaper to stick to a few colours.

I decided to make a few alterations to make the detail nicer such as curved corners and dotted lines.


Also to make the envelopes more interesting I added a simple spotted pattern which is where the stock colour could act as a second colour to a one colour print. I felt this was simple and effective


To mix up the postcards slightly I chose a second format so I could create two different ranges. I then expanded the patterns as I realised I had more room on the screen.



As Steph was unable to host the stall at Leeds Print Festival me and Katie stepped in and took her place. We collected the classes prints and brought them to the event. We had to lay them out strategically as it was only a small table and we had quite a few prints to sell.

I attempted to screen print but due to being really ill with an infection and bad back I had to leave and  sadly was unable to create my prints in time for the event. I did however bring the marble prints that me and Sam generated in creating the flag for the Dr.Me brief.




We struggled with the pricing of our work and a lot of people said we were underselling our work and people wouldn't buy it if it appeared cheap from its price. We did act upon on this and raise the price slightly early on in the day which didn't seem to hinder our sales which was good. Overall we raised £97 as a stall and it was interesting to see peoples reactions to work and what sold. A very useful experience and I would now feel more confident in going to print fair and would be more prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment