Wednesday 29 January 2014

The Dream: San Fran

THE DREAM: To go and work in San Fran for a period of time.

ACTION: So I wanted to go to San Fran but financially I couldn't afford to just go there and live so I thought what better than to go and work there. However it's easily said than done with Americas really strict visa rules etc. I've looked online at internships and graduate schemes as I thought this might be the best possible way of approaching working there:

However it was still difficult to figure it out. I also contacted Max Gregory who graduated last year as him and Niall went for about a month and visited studios. He gave us some great advice and said although they didn't have any response to there emails they just went to the studios and people were generally friendly and helpful. They visited different ones the entire time they were there so there appears to be plenty to see! I also went to speak to STA travel about working abroad and possible help with sorting it. They explained that Australia is a lot easier and cheaper to go work in but usually in other fields of work such as farming and hospitality. There visas only last a year though but you could try look for design jobs whilst there doing another job. America they explained was a lot more complicated when it came to visas.

I decided to look at studios in San Francisco myself to see if there were any in particular that I could target. I also tried to find ones which also had UK based studios so that I could try and take the path from working here originally and transferring. I found quite a few that I liked the look of.

When looking at the sites I did look to see if they had any internship programmes. A lot said to pop in with your portfolio and they'll try look at it, not really practical for me being thousands of miles away however. I found this internship on one of there sites which is paid! It would have to be a paid internship if I was able to do it due it being financially impossible to live there without it being.



No comments:

Post a Comment