Saturday 3 November 2012

Industrial Experience - The Allotment

I walked into a store and ended up having a conversation with the guys in there about there graphics and they said that I could help do the store some graphics and to email them. In response to this opportunity I spoke to Lorraine and Simon as they informed me in the small conversation that it would be unpaid. They offered me some really good advice about sometimes you get even more work from doing that one thing for free or you can kick yourself for doing it, it's important not to undervalue yourself and that it should stay private if you do it for free but on the positive side to way up the opportunity for my portfolio if you choose to. They suggested to question the payment further and to talk to John for some more advice. 

Therefore I emailed John:


A couple of weeks ago a clothing company called 'The Allotment' asked me if
I wanted to do there graphics for them because the person currently doing
it is a fashion student at College of Art and he'll be to busy. They just
said to email them and that it would be unpaid so I spoke to Lorraine and
Simon and they said to talk to you about approaching them on it and about
possible payment or just doing it for experience and portfolio benefits.
Would appreciate if you could give me some guidance on talking to them
professionally.
Thanks,
Imogen

He replied: 

Hi Imogen

Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you, I have been out of
the country. I am in on Tuesday, come and find me if you like.

Depending on the the requirements, I would suggest you explain that you,
as a student can look at the work on a special price, as it will help with your
portfolio. I can chat over the detail if you give me more details.

Best
John
Following this I emailed the store to find out more information to discuss with John to get a more informed piece of advice.

On 22 Oct 2012, at 12:24, Imogen-Mary Hoefkens wrote:


Hi Whoever it may concern,



I came into your store a couple of weeks ago and you discussed with me about doing your Graphics for you as your current designer has other commitments. I currently study Graphic Design at Leeds College of Art and was interested in your offer but was wondering if you could give me some more information on my role and what you would require me to do for you.

Thanks,
Imogen-Mary Hoefkens
They replied:
Hi there,

Would it be possible for you to send over a portfolio of some of your work etc or anything you have done! 

It would be just giving a helping hand with graphic work on the site and social media etc like creating promotional banners for various brands and so on.

Also what days do you have free?

Best regards

Jamie



The Allotment Store

I then had a meeting with John and he advised me to send some samples of my work, if i don't like whole pieces then just sections and vary it with layout, colour etc. He also suggest I challenge the payment and ask to possibly be paid in product. After having a chat with him I felt a bit more confident about contacting them as a professional and what I should do.

Plan of action!
I'm going to pull different sections of my work together that i'm happy with sending on to them and wait for a response.

No comments:

Post a Comment