Wednesday 28 November 2012

STUDY TASK 6 - What do 'They' do?

Candy Black Design
http://www.candyblackdesign.com
Branding/Digital Media/Print Design/Interior Design/Typography&Illustration/Photography&Film

Strengths:
There services all interlink and can be used collectively to provide design solutions
They work one on one with clients
Clear focus in design interests

Weaknesses:
Small company so they can only do a certain amount of work at a time between them
Harder to survive in the current economy 

Opportunities:
They have taken:
To work collaboratively with interior and graphic design
Seen a gap in the market for design for a boutique style
They haven't taken:
To work with other people and designers

Threats:
The economy dropping even further
The demand for design in more technologic formats
Social change of style - The boutique style going out of fashion


Elmwood
http://www.elmwood.com
Branding

Strengths:
Established
Worked with well known brands
Been credited and have won awards
Independent
Good at increasing brand and product value

Weaknesses:
Don't take full advantage of the technology market
Don't use the environment opportunities to expand the brands

Opportunities:
Branched out across the world and have multiple studios
Work with freelancers

Threats:
Other big brand companies
There approach going out of date

DesignBridge
http://www.designbridge.com

Strengths:
Large client base
Large global market
Years of experience
Independent but have different locations
Worked with big brands
Moved across different markets

Weaknesses:
Expanding there design to other aspects such as interior
Considering the environmental opportunities with the brand

Opportunities:
Have there own awards - do student ones for final year students - find new talent
Have there own marketing team - help bring better-targeted products faster to market

Threats:
Other branding companies
Being overtook by the technology age


Who am I competing against?
Other students do creative studies, graduates, students to be and the professionals
What do they offer?
Skills, experience, different approaches
What makes me better?
Honest and friendly person, willing to work for what I want
What makes me different?
Think my own way and have my own experiences to capitalise one 

It's hard to evaluate and analysis companies based on what you see without experiencing it. Theres an obvious gap within these companies where they aren't taking full advantage of the technology and digital generation which is rising and expanding more and more. This is an opportunity for my own practice to advance in in order to get ahead of my competition. It is also an opportunity to explore more media to work with and expand my creative thinking to new realms of possibility and develop my practice. The whole of my practice does need to be improved in execution and craft of final ideas in order to display to there full potential. These design agencies displayed there work professionally and clearly and this is something that is a weakness of my own as time restraints and restrictions lead to me limiting my practice and execution. I need to strengthen this in order to beat competition as my ideas won't be reflected well by something that is finished badly. I have the opportunity to be the fresh meat that the industry is looking for and need to work with my strengths of idea generation and enthusiasm for all things creative in order to capitalise and benefit from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment