Sunday 26 May 2013

Self - Branding: Design Decisions


After deciding to not define myself with one colour as one it was impossible and two I think there are many colours that express me and also express the concept of exclamation mark. I wanted bright colours but still light so they weren't harsh. I took inspiration from how the colour is applied in the image below and selected the first 6 colours above. I tried multiplying them as I wanted them to be softer like those below. This didn't have the effect I was after so I decided to try another selection of colours. I thought of highlighter pens as they were the kind of bright but still light that I was after as well primary colours.

I decided that highlighter pen colours were defiantly what I was after as not only were they the right tone but also they worked with the idea of an exclamation mark as the punctuation symbol highlights a point and makes it stand out. They also express  the fun, friendly and cheerful tone I wanted to show without being to in your face and irritating. 



I looked at the legal requirements to what a letter head had to include on it before I started:

I wanted to include my logo and start the letterhead with the rotation of my initials and end it with my initials so that the concept of flipping is kept throughout the different formats.


I just a basic grid to ensure the placement of the different sections were in proportion and had the same margins. The logo would be die cut out so that it was the colour or item behind it that fills it. I used the blue as blue is associated with trustworthy, dependable and committed.


I tried different ways of using the blue.
I thought of how the logo could be used in a more exciting and different way. I thought of how it could alter the page shape by die cutting the edge of the page.


I then experimented with the flipping so it altered both edges.


I preferred just the one edge and added the text and information 



I think that a more subtle application of the icon using just enough of it to make the icon recognisable looks better as it means the spread and white space is that of a normal letterhead.


I designed the postal stickers to cover my promotional material in the colours I had chosen which will make it stand out amongst other post.

No comments:

Post a Comment