Friday 24 May 2013

Brand Britain: Week Experience

When at my weeks work experience at Brand Britain I learnt a lot. They were absolutely lovely to me and showed me some really valuable skills in designing digitally, process and presentation. They said that photoshop was invaluable to mocking up realistic designs for proposals and was best to create shadows and gradients which they showed me. This as well as a few shortcuts really helped as I'd never liked or really used photoshop.

They gave me a brief they were going to be potentially working on for The BathPig which sells British chorizo. It was to update there packaging and make it more appealing, showing off there unique selling point of it being British chorizo. 

I did research into the brand and imagery for the ingredients. I wanted to use visuals of the ingredients to communicate the fresh and goodness of the ingredients. I also looked into other chorizo packaging and also meat packaging to see what qualities good packaging of a similar field of food have. I also analysed the current packaging to highlight the problems and define what it needs.




I created a few rough sketches and then digitally brought together something.
They guided in approaching the logo by experimenting with typefaces. I chose the typeface that I felt had pig like features with terminals and serifs that curled like pig ears. Then from there applying colours to the logo and then to the packaging. An interesting point they made was to try different styles such as burned which is something I never really thought to before, I normally just think straight vector with colour. I watched tutorials to guide me with the burned then did a drawn scratched one and a british stamp one.



I then created the snack packaging and cooking packaging. I wanted the packaging to have organic properties as there food was about quality in ingredients with freedom food rspca monitored, wheat, gluten and diary free as well as UK pork being three main factors. I chose a brown paper bag with a cut out window showing the meat to give a clean, organic and fresh quality to the product rather than the air filled bag before. They showed me lots of skills in mockup in photoshop which was really useful.

I wanted the cooking ingredient to ooze luxury and quality so I changed the packaging to a flat front with a tight sealed back around the meat. A window looks through at the meat.

They also said to present the before and after of the designs on a board to show the clients the transition.


The things I learnt and developed at my time at Brand Britain have been incredibly valuable and I can really see how important industry experience is even if it's visiting a studio as they have so much to offer. Since then I feel my skills have come along way especially in proposals boards and I reworked the boards for responsive which are shown here:


No comments:

Post a Comment