Friday 24 May 2013

Self-Branding Development

I decided to go with the exclamation mark but focus on the fact that it is an 'i', my initial, upside down. So I started looking at what exclamation to use. 

I also tried showing it flipped next to each other to make a symbol of my own but this defiantly didn't look how I wanted.


I thought of how the reading the symbol from both ways could be represented. I tried flipping text upside down and how they could read two different things as well as together.


I tried incorporating the line that defines the way the letter is read such as that used on a 6 and 9 but I didn't like that.


I started thinking of negative space as I wanted to expand my options. I realised that the negative space actual created my two initials of i and h. I thought this was good but I don't think it represented me atheistically.

After having no look with the exclamation mark I started using my two initials as when there flipped it read hi



I tried this with the exclamation mark as well but was struggling, I felt that the one that worked best didn't have a tittle.


I liked that the comma when flipped looked like a speech mark and made hi the beginning of conversation.


I wanted to see if this worked with the first initials of my name but it didn't do the same. I also tried a different comma but I preferred the one that shaped more like a speech mark as this is what I favoured most about this idea.


I then tried it with different weights to see if it looked better in a lighter weight by I preferred the heaviest condensed one.


I then tried the flipping of the text like I had done before to show how it can be read both ways.


I played around with how it could be placed on a business card and what body copy font would work well as the heavy condensed wouldn't read or look very good.


I then tried it across a range of colours to see how this would effect it. I couldn't really find one that I was completely happy with but I felt the blue represented me best. The electric blue is current, bright, bold and the colours properties of blue can be very positive if the right tone is used.


Electric blue as stated before is dynamic, engaging and expresses exhilaration. It also says it's the least gender specific colour so it appeals to men and women which is ideal for the field of design because it's not dominated by a gender and I also feel that i'm not particularly girly and don't want to express myself  as being.



I experimented with die cut in the business card to make it more interactive or different as well as changing the shape of the actual card to make it instigate conversation and networking.


Although I felt I was getting close to something I wasn't feeling completely happy with my idea. I went back to the exclamation mark as a symbol to represent my as I thought the previous ideas of my initials could be used as an extension of the flipping idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment